Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Spinach Lasagna Rolls


Just like my recipe for Lasagna Cupcakes, this recipe provides all the delicious taste of a classic lasagna, but in individual portion sizes. These Spinach Lasagna Rolls are definitely a crowd pleaser, and best of all, they're much healthier than traditional lasagna. They're a great dish if you're looking to incorporate some healthy spinach into your diet - which for me, is not an easy feat. 


Ingredients:
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach - thawed and completely drained
  • 15 oz. ricotta cheese (I used low fat)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used a 1/4 cup freshly grated cheese, and 1/4 cup of the good old Kraft kind in the green container)
  • 1 egg
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • 1 24 oz. jar of your favorite pasta sauce

  • 9 Tbs grated mozzarella cheese
How to:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Cook lasagna noodles according to the package.
  • Spoon some marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish - it just need to be enough to lightly cover the bottom.
  • In a bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, cheese, egg, salt and pepper.
  • Lay out lasagna noodles on a piece of wax paper, and dry noodles.
    • Note: I dried my noodles by just dabbing them with paper towels. There's probably a better way to do this, but it worked fine for me! 
  • Take 1/3 cup of the ricotta-spinach mixture and spread it over a noodle. 
  • Starting from 1 end, carefully roll up the lasagna noodle and place seam side down in the baking dish.
  •  Repeat with the remaining 8 lasagna noodles.
  • Spoon some marinara over the tops of the noodles.
  • Top each noodle with 1 Tbs of mozzarella cheese.
  • Cover in foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cheese is nice and melted.
    I usually serve my Spinach Lasagna Rolls with some extra marinara sauce. This dish reheats really well, which is great if you have leftovers. I can't promise that you will, though!

    The original recipe can be found here.

    2 comments:

    1. These look awesome! I'm definitely going to try this, so thanks for the recipe! Will let you know how mine turn out.

      ReplyDelete