Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Cheesy Corn Cakes


Jake and I had our friends over to watch the Ravens game today, and I knew I had to try out this recipe for Cheesy Corn Cakes when our friends said they were bringing chili over. It's just one of those perfect fall days - there's a chill in the air, and chili is the perfect dish to warm you up. Why not pair it with some cornbread?
Here's the original recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups stone ground yellow cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk*
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 cups freshly grated pepperjack cheese (I grated the cheese so 1 cup was finely shredded, and the other cup was regularly shredded)
  • butter (for greasing griddle)
How to:
  • Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and honey.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined - do not overmix!
  • Fold in the grated cheese.
  • Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and grease with butter.
  • Scoop (I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup) some of your mixture onto the hot griddle. Using a spatula, press down the mixture so it lays flat like a pancake.
    • Note: spray the back of your spatula with cooking spray so it doesn't stick to the corn cake.
  • Once brown, flip cake, and brown on other side. 
  • Repeat process with remaining batter.
*If you don't have buttermilk, you can add 1 Tbsp white vinegar to 1 1/4 cup milk, and let it stand for 10 minutes.

I popped one of these Corn Cakes right on top of my chili. The chili wasn't super spicy, so the pepperjack cheese of the Corn Cake really added a nice kick to the dish. Everyone seemed to like this addition to the chili! I'm anxious to try these with a nice bowl of beef stew as well. 

The website I found this recipe initially says these cakes keep well. Her instructions for reheating say to nuke a cold Corn Cake in the microwave for ~30 seconds. If frozen, heat on 50% power for 1 minute, and then in 20-30 second intervals until hot. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment