Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lasagna Cupcakes


Ask and you shall receive. An overwhelming 82% of you wanted to see this recipe, according to my first poll! I love this recipe. My favorite thing about it is how each 'cupcake' is perfectly portioned, and because the recipe uses wonton wrappers instead of actual lasagna noodles, the end product isn't super heavy, like traditional lasagna.


I found this recipe on Betty Crocker's website. The original recipe uses soy protein crumbles, but I opted to use italian sausage instead.

Ingredients:
  • 36 wonton wrappers (I used Nasoya brand)
  • 1/2 pound italian sausage
  • 1 jar (24 oz.) of your favorite pasta sauce
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

How to:
  • Heat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned and crumbled, and combine with pasta sauce. Set aside.
  • Combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg in a small bowl. Set aside.
  • Spray 12 regular-sized muffin cups with cooking spray.
  • Place one wrapper in the bottom of each muffin cup. Top with a heaping spoonful of the sausage/pasta sauce mix. Add a heaping spoonful of the ricotta cheese mixture on top.
  • Repeat layers again (wonton wrapper, sauce, ricotta).
  • Cover with another wonton wrapper, and top with some more of the sausage/pasta sauce mix.
  • Top with some mozzarella cheese.
  • Spray some aluminum foil with cooking spray, and cover muffin tin with aluminum foil, sprayed side down.
  • Cook for 15 minutes.
  • Uncover and cook for an additional 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
  • Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
I like to serve my lasagna cupcakes with some extra marinara sauce on the side. I find this recipe is perfect when you're having a lot of people over (it's easy to double or even triple this recipe), and it's much less messy than traditional lasagna.

I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight. I added spinach to my ricotta mix and used 99 percent lean turkey instead of Italian sausage. It was very yummy, I think I needed more cheese though. Lol :/ it's my favorite food. Oh, and this is super light. I do not feel as full as if I ate lasagna...but it had the lasagna taste. Thanks leighanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad to hear you liked it, Ginnette! I agree - you can never have too much cheese. I've never tried turkey sausage, but it's certainly a healthier option than Italian sausage.

      Delete