Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Monday, November 19, 2012

Dutch Apple Pie


Happy (almost) Thanksgiving! I have the PERFECT apple pie recipe for all of you who are looking for a fabulous dessert to bring to your Thanksgiving table. This recipe for Dutch Apple Pie is my absolute favorite. I found it last fall, when I was desperate to get rid of the remaining apples I had picked. No lie - I made this pie on 4 separate occasions last year, and I have made it twice this year already. It's that good!


Ingredients:

For filling:
  • 1 pre-packaged pie crust, or your own
  • 6 cups sliced apples
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbs flour
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
For topping:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
How to:
  •  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, combine all of the 'filling' ingredients. 
  • Gently toss apples by turning them with a spatula until they are evenly coated.
  • Pour coated apples into a 9 inch* prepared pie crust. 
  • To make the topping, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and mix.
  • Cut in butter and use a pastry blender or your hands (which work fabulously, I might add) to create the crumble topping. 
  • Sprinkle crumbles over apples.
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes. 20 minutes into cooking, turn your oven down to 350 degrees and continue cooking at this temperature. This will prevent your crust from getting too brown.
*Note: I've also used a 9.5 inch pie pan instead of a 9 inch pie pan, and this recipe still turned out just fine. It seems most pre-packaged pie crusts are 9 inches. I'm not sure if my 9.5 inch pie pan is abnormal, or most pie pans generally are slightly larger than pre-packaged pie crusts.
I kid you not, this will be the best apple pie you've ever eaten. I don't like a lot of crust, which may be why I love this recipe so much. The crumble topping is amazing!

I followed this recipe exactly as it's written by Krissy (who happens to be a friend of mine!). Her suggestions are right on. You should also click through her blog - she has some really great recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment