Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Spooky Halloween Brownies


Halloween is almost upon us! Which hopefully means you'll be attending at least one Halloween party this year. There's nothing better than dressing up, hanging out with great friends, and eating delicious Halloween treats (have I mentioned that I love fall?).


Last year, Jake's sister hosted their incredibly large family at her house for a Halloween party. Because this was a kid friendly party, I decided I'd bring some food that would appeal to them. This recipe for Spooky Brownies appealed to me - I knew the kids would love them.

I found this recipe in one of those Betty Crocker seasonal recipe books they have in the supermarket check out lanes (which I of course had to buy). Here's a link to the electronic version of that same recipe. I'd like to pretend that I made the brownies from scratch - but I didn't. Can't go wrong with brownies from a box, am I right?

Jake (Hulk Hogan) and I last year on Halloween!

Ingredients:
  • your favorite brownie recipe and corresponding ingredients
  • white frosting
  • large marshmallows
  • fruit roll-ups or fruit-by-the-foot
  • mini M&Ms or cinnamon candies
  • black decorating gel



How to:
  • Prepare you favorite brownie recipe. Cool completely (~1.5 hours) and cut into squares.
  • Split icing between two bowls.
  • For ghosts:
    • Melt one portion of the icing in the microwave for approx. 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
    • Spoon melted icing over half of the marshmellows.
    • Once the icing sets, decorate the ghost faces with black decorating gel.
  • For monsters:
    • Add some green food coloring to the remaining portion of icing and melt in the microwave for approx. 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
    • Spoon melted icing over remaining half of the marshmallows as above and allow to set.
    • For the eyes and ears, decorate with mini M&Ms or cinnamon candies.
    • For the hair, cut fruit roll-ups or fruit-by-the-foot (I used a pizza cutter) and lay across tops of marshmallows.
    • Decorate center of eyes and mouth with black decorating gel.
If you take a look at the original recipe, you can see good old Betty Crocker also made some spooky spider brownies. I didn't attempt the spiders, but they would also be a fun addition! 

The kids went crazy as soon as they set their eyes on these at the party. This recipe is certainly a kid crowd pleaser!

Enjoy!


1 comment: