Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Mousse



It's no secret that, like any native New Englander, I love fall. It's that time of year, where pumpkin-flavored everything pops up in grocery stores and coffee shops. I'm not complaining - I LOVE all things pumpkin. Which is probably the main reason I love Thanksgiving so much. Aside from all the other amazing food I eat on Turkey Day. But I digress. 

I've been wanting to make pumpkin butter since I recently saw it at one of the stands at my local farmers market. I searched various blogs for it, and came across this recipe (I told you I loved SkinnyTaste). The author of SkinnyTaste mentioned she puts pumpkin butter on toast, adds it to her lattes - everything. I decided it would probably be delicious mixed with cool whip - and alas, my recipe for pumpkin mousse was born.

Ingredients:
For making pumpkin butter:
  • 1 29oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup apple juice or cider (I used apple juice)
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2-3 cinnamon sticks
  • 1-2 tsps pumpkin pie spice
For making pumpkin mousse:
  • 1 Tbsp pumpkin butter
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat cool whip
  • chopped walnuts, if desired
How to:
Recipe for pumpkin butter:
  • Combine pumpkin, vanilla, juice, sugar, and spices in a large saucepan and mix well.
  • Bring mixture to a boil.
  • Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes with frequent stirring, until thickened. 
  • Cool pumpkin butter overnight in the refrigerator. This recipe yields enough pumpkin butter to fill a large mason jar  (approx. 3 3/4 cups).
Recipe for pumpkin mousse:
  • Add approx. 1 Tbsp chilled pumpkin butter to reduced fat cool whip. Adjust amount of pumpkin butter to your taste.
  • Top with chopped walnuts, if desired.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of me preparing the pumpkin butter. I boiled my mason jar to sanitize it and stored my pumpkin butter in that, once it was cooled. Per the suggestion of SkinnyTaste, I've also used my pumpkin butter as a spread on toast, have added a Tbsp to my morning coffee, have put some in my oatmeal (see picture below), and have also just eaten it right off the spoon. But I think mixing it with cool whip & eating is as a dessert is my favorite way to consume pumpkin butter. This low calorie dessert is a great addition to any fall meal, in my opinion! I wasn't kidding when I told you I have a pumpkin-problem.


Enjoy! Leave your comments & suggestions below.


No comments:

Post a Comment