Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Spicy Mexican Skillet



You know when you have one of those days, where the last thing you want to do is cook? And you wish you could just go to your pantry, throw a bunch of ingredients in a pan and end up with a healthy, tasty meal? Look no further, my friends. This meal is for you!
 
I came had to run a quick errand after I left work today, so I stopped in at Target. An hour later (damn you, Target - you get me every time), I finally left - hands full of random items I obviously can't live without. It was 7:45pm, and the last thing I wanted to do was cook. I remembered this super fast, super easy, super tasty meal that I prepared a few months ago. Lucky for me, I had everything on hand to whip this up in no time.

This recipe for Spicy Mexican Skillet takes less than 30 minutes to make, and it's full of healthy ingredients. It's also full of flavor, so it's a win/win. The original recipe can be found here. As usual, I've changed minor things here & there to my taste. But the beauty of this dish is it's hard to go wrong!

Ingredients:
  • olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups zucchini, quartered and sliced
  • 1 medium green pepper
  • 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
  • 1 15 oz. canned corn, drained (or use some frozen corn if you have that)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 cup instant rice
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or mexican cheese blend (plus some extra)
How to:
  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring occaisionally.
  • Add beans, tomatoes, corn, and water. Bring to a boil.
  • Add rice and mix well. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand about 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
  • Add cheese and mix well.
  • Serve and top with more cheese (b/c let's be honest, you can never have too much cheese)
This recipe makes a LOT of food, so be prepared to have many lunches and dinners taken care of for the few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment