Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Skinny Cream of Zucchini Soup



Why is it that whenever I'm sick, all I want is soup? Actually, that's not entirely true. I would eat soup for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I could. And I anticipate many future posts that fully demonstrate my love for soup. Anyway, the point is, I currently AM sick, and I WANT soup, so I'm going to share this recipe with you.

I stumbled upon SkinnyTaste when I first joined Pinterest, and that's where I found this recipe for Cream of Zucchini Soup. If you're wondering the same thing I was the first time I tried this recipe - "How can something with so few ingredients have any taste?" - STOP. This is one of my favorite recipes! It's flavorful, super easy to make, and best of all - pretty healthy!
 

The original recipe can be found here. My recipe has a few minor adjustments, but I assure you, it tastes great!


Ingredients:
  • 6 cups prepared chicken broth (I prepared mine from Bouillon)
  • 3 medium zucchinis, skins on, quartered and diced
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup light sour cream
  • salt & pepper to taste
 How to:
  • Combine broth, zucchini, onion, and garlic in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
  • Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 min, until vegetables are tender.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Add sour cream.
  • Either transfer soup to a blender* and puree ingredients, or puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
  • Add salt & pepper to taste.
  • Serve warm & enjoy!

*When transferring ingredients to a blender, be careful! Only fill the blender ~1/3 of a way full at a time. I've found that it's best to only transfer the solid contents of the soup and a little bit of broth, to minimize spillage when you turn the blender on. An immersion blender really works best.

I make this recipe every few weeks, and I'm always amazed at how flavorful it is, considering how few ingredients there are. It's great that you can get the taste of a creamy soup, without all the added calories. I've even gotten Jake to eat it, and he doesn't eat any creamy soups. Not even Cream of Crab - and he's a native Marylander! So enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment