Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Skillet Chicken Parmesan


Sorry for the LONG break between posts! February has proven to be quite a hectic month thus far. I actually prepared this dish about a week and a half ago, and am just now getting around to posting this. YIKES!
This was my first attempt at making any sort of Chicken Parmesan recipe, and I think it turned out great (I can't say the same for the picture of it, though!). I love this dish, because all the taste of Chicken Parmesan is there, but the fried greasiness isn't! I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Ingredients:

  • ~1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 3/4 cup your favorite marinara sauce
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
How to:
  • In a shallow bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and garlic salt.
  • In a separate bowl, beat the egg until frothy.
  • Wrap the chicken in plastic wrap and pound chicken breasts with a tenderizer until they are an even thickness. I butterflied my chicken breasts before wrapping them so they were nice and thin - about 1/2 inch.
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Dip each piece of chicken in the egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
  • Add the coated chicken to the skillet and cook for 4-5 min on each side, or until the chicken is well browned and just cooked through.
  • Spoon the marinara sauce evenly over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with mozzarella.
  • Cover the skillet and reduce heat to low. Cook for ~3 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
I served my Skillet Chicken Parmesan with a side of spaghetti. And some red wine, of course. I recommend you try the same :)

The original recipe can be found here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment