Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Penne alla Vodka

Believe it or not, Baltimore's Little Italy has some seriously delicious Italian food. My absolute favorite restaurant in all of Baltimore is La Scala. OK, I'm gonna say it - this is my favorite Italian restaurant ever. EVER. And that's saying a lot, considering I grew up frequenting the North End in Boston. Even my mom, who introduced me to the fabulous North End at a young age, said the best cannoli she's ever had was from La Scala. Seriously, if you live near Baltimore and you haven't been here, GO.
Anyway, La Scala introduced me to Penne alla Vodka. Their recipe for this dish has the perfect amount of richness and heat. I've been wanting to duplicate their version for some time now, and I think I've finally found a recipe that comes close. So I'm sharing it with all of you. You can thank me later.

Ingredients:

  • 4 oz package of sliced pancetta, cubed
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large yellow onion, minced
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vodka
  • 1 28 oz. can of tomato puree
  • 1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 box penne pasta
  • fresh basil, if desired
  • Parmesan cheese, if desired
How to:
  • Over medium heat, cook pancetta until brown and crispy in a large skillet. Reserve the fat and transfer the pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate.
  • Add the olive oil to the skillet with pancetta fat. Saute onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper until onion is soft and fragrant. 
  • Add the vodka and cook until the alcohol has evaporated, stirring occasionally (about 5-6 minutes).
  • Add the tomato puree and the diced tomatoes, and simmer for about 15 minutes to thicken the sauce.
  • In the meantime, cook and drain pasta according to the package directions.
  • Add the pancetta back to the sauce and mix. Add the whipping cream, stirring constantly. Make sure you're cooking over a relatively low temperature so you don't scorch the sauce.
  • Add the drained pasta to the sauce and mix until evenly coated.
  • Add basil and Parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.
You can find pancetta in the fancy cheese section of your local grocery store, if you don't feel like going to see a butcher. I bought a pre-sliced package and used about 3 slices, but I recommend using the whole thing. You can never have enough pancetta, if you ask me. I no longer purchase vodka in 1.75 L plastic bottles that costs ~$10 like I did in college (don't judge, you did it too). I used Smirnoff for this recipe. - It's a small step up from Rubinoff. I also used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1 cup light whipping cream, because I still haven't recovered from the richness of this recipe.

I modified this recipe quite a bit to come up with my delicious version of Penne alla vodka. Actually, it's very different from this recipe, but I did 'work' from this one, so I felt like I should include it.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Umm I still use cheap vodka for recipes like this!It burns off anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, Jess - most of it burns off anyway. I used Smirnoff because that's what I have in my liquor cabinet these days - no more super cheap vodka in this household!

      Delete