Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Chunky Vegetable Soup

Happy December! Jake and I went to pick out our Christmas tree today. It was pretty chilly, and all I could think about was having something warm when we got back to our place. After about 30 minutes of searching, we found the most glorious tree the nursery had to offer. And then it was time to head home, and make some delicious soup.

My recipe for Chunky Vegetable Soup is modified from a recipe I found in the book pictured above (which I purchased for $2.99 at Marshall's - bonus). If you're looking for a healthy bowl of soup that's packed with flavor, this is for you!

Ingredients:
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 3 medium red potatoes, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano (14 oz)
  • 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2-3 tsp italian seasoning
  • 1/2 cup frozen or canned (drained) corn
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
How to:
  • In a pot, combine all ingredients except for corn and stir to mix.
  • Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 25 minutes.
  • Add the corn, and return to a boil. 
  • Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. 
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Discard bay leaf.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This soup is on the menu for Sunday (I think)! Will report back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know what you think! I hope it turns out great!

      Delete