Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Monday, December 10, 2012

Crockpot Beef Stew

In theory, Crockpot recipes are great because you can throw a bunch of stuff into the pot, turn it on, leave it for 6-8 hours, and come back to a delicious hot meal. In reality, Crockpot recipes generally only work for me on the weekends. During the week,  I'm outta the house by 8:00am and rarely get home before 6:00pm. That's 10 hours. I feel like this is generally the norm for people who work 40 hours (or more...womp womp...) a week outside the home.


As I've mentioned numerous times, sometimes cooking a real meal is the absolute last thing I want to do when I get home after standing at a lab bench for 8+ hours. Jake and I probably eat more cereal and grilled cheese than we should. I came across this recipe for Crockpot Beef Stew and knew it would be the perfect thing to try on what I knew would be one of my crazier days in the lab. I prepped all of the ingredients the night before and kept them covered and in the fridge overnight. Then, before heading into work last Wednesday morning, I threw all of the ingredients in the crockpot, turned it on, and left for work. When I finally made it back to the house 11 and a half hours later (vomit), this perfect batch of Beef Stew was waiting for me.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite size pieces or 1 inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 potatoes, diced
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups beef broth
How to:
  • Mix together flour, salt, and pepper in a large Ziploc bag or bowl. Add meat and toss to coat.
  • Place flour-coated meat in slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients. Stir to mix thoroughly.
  • Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours. 
After 11 and a half hours in the crockpot, the meat perfectly fell apart and tasted so flavorful. This really was one of those 'set it and forget it' meals, especially considering I prepped all of the ingredients the night before. 

My recipe is slightly modified from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment