Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes


I have been wanting to try this recipe for weeks now. I've actually never cooked with sun-dried tomatoes, but I LOVE the taste of them. This recipe for Baked Penne with Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomatoes is incredibly savory - it's sure to be a crowd pleaser!

 Ingredients:
  • 1/2 box (8 oz.) penne pasta
  • 1 tsp olive oil (or bacon grease)
  • 1 chicken breast, halved horizontally
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 Tbsp butter + extra for greasing dish
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained (if packed in oil) and thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
How to:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish. 
  • Cook pasta 3 minutes short of al dente, drain, and set aside.
  • Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
  • Generously season chicken breast pieces with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, both sides, and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes or until opaque throughout.
  • Remove chicken from pan and slice into bite size pieces. Set aside.
  • In a Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour and garlic, whisking constantly until smooth, about 1 minute.
  • Slowly add milk while whisking and increase temperature to medium. Heat until simmering, whisking occasionally. 
  • Add tomatoes and cook for an additional minute.
  • Remove from heat and stir in provolone and 1/4 cup Parmesan until smooth. 
  • Generously season sauce with salt and pepper to your liking.
  • Add pasta and chicken to sauce and mix.
  • Pour into buttered baking dish and top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
  • Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly. Before serving, let cool for 5 minutes.
I opted to use whole wheat pasta in this recipe, and I think it turned out really great. Others who have tried this recipe from Martha Stewart noted theirs turned out bland and was under salted. To prevent this from happening in my version, I actually cooked the chicken in bacon grease, rather than olive oil. In the future, I think I'll actually add cooked bacon pieces to my sauce, as well as more sun-dried tomatoes to make this recipe extra flavorful. I also heavily seasoned my sauce with freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Tasting along the way is key! My grocery store, doesn't carry shredded provolone so I ended up buying a provolone/mozzarella mix, which worked well. My recipe also has more garlic than the original, which kicks up the flavor a little bit.

I'd love to hear your experience with this recipe! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I use sundried tomatoes in pretty much everything I make that's Itallianish. They're great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Bev! I actually think I'll use more sun-dried tomatoes next time I prepare this recipe - they're so good!

    ReplyDelete