Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Curried Pumpkin Apple Soup


Have I mentioned fall is my favorite season? Just making sure all you readers know that. I'm probably the only person in the world that doesn't want to hear Christmas music until AFTER Thanksgiving. Is that seriously too much to ask? Why are people always trying to rush right past Thanksgiving as soon as the Halloween candy goes on clearance? While Halloween is my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving is a close second. Turkey? Pie? Cranberry sauce that retains the shape of the container it came out of? All amazing things!


In honor of my approaching 2nd favorite holiday (and because I was craving soup like whoa), I whipped up this seasonal treat for myself. This recipe for Curried Pumpkin Apple Soup is sort of like a liquid form of Thanksgiving dinner (awesome), but even better because it has some of that delicious curry taste going on. 

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
  • 2 tsp curry powder
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 2-3 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
How to:
  • Melt butter in a medium sized pot over medium heat, and saute onion, celery, and apple until onion is transparent and ingredients are cooked through. 
  • Stir in curry and saute 1 min.
  • Add in broth and pumpkin and heat to a boil.
  • Reduce heat, and puree until smooth.
  • Add salt and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
  • After 5 minutes, stir in heavy cream and honey. Adjust taste with salt and more honey if necessary.
  • Simmer 2 more minutes, then remove from heat and serve hot.
Obviously if you hate curry, this dish is not for you. But I love Indian food and flavors, so when I found this recipe, it was sort of a match made in heaven - curry + pumpkin + apple = perfection. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got this recipe from. It's one of those recipes that has been written and rewritten in my recipe books. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this - let me know how yours turns out!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment