Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spicy Thai Noodles


I have slowly been trying to convince Jake he likes ethnic foods. If he had his way, he'd eat pizza all day, every single day. I'm sorry, but just because pizza was technically 'invented' in Naples, Italy, I don't consider it an 'ethnic' food. It's one of the most commonly consumed foods in the US, and I'm sure the type of pizza that Jake and I eat is nothing like it is in Italy. I've never tested this theory, but I imagine Italian pizza has far less grease. And I'm sure it's not topped with random (but delicious) things like pineapple. But I digress. Anyway, every month or so, I'll throw some random recipe into the mix - usually an Indian or Greek dish - and pray to God that Jake loves it so I can permanently add it to our dinner menu rotation. Usually those recipes fail Jake's taste test, or don't taste the way I hope they will, which explains why there are a lack of ethnic recipes featured here at Potions & Poppy Seeds.
Well, times have changed, my friends. I made this dish two nights ago, and Jake LOVED it. This recipe for Spicy Thai Noodles is reminiscent of a dish I used to order at the Cheesecake Factory, although I'm not sure they serve it any more (it's been years since I've been). 

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 box of whole wheat thin spaghetti
  • 1 can condensed cream of broccoli soup + 1 can water
  • 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 3 Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 Tbs lime juice
  • 2 Tbs packed brown sugar + more to taste
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 3 cups coleslaw mix
  • 2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro (if desired)
  • Extra peanuts, crushed (if desired)
How to:
  • Cook and drain pasta as according to package.
  • In a large skillet, heat the soup plus water, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and pepper flakes over medium-high heat to a boil.
  • Add additional brown sugar, if necessary, to taste.
  • Remove from heat and stir in pasta and coleslaw until evenly coated.
  • Top with peanuts and cilantro, if desired.
If you think the sauce is too thick, you can add more water to thin it out a little bit. After reading some of the comments about the recipe I worked from, I opted to "prepare" the condensed soup as indicated on its label, as the original doesn't add any water.

I also suggest that, when reheating leftovers, add in extra coleslaw AFTER you've warmed it up. This will bring back that extra crunch that works so well in this dish.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Made this tonight - yummy and very easy! I made my own cream of broccoli which was also pretty easy - even though it looked and smelled like baby food - it tasted good: http://www.earthmamasworld.com/homemade-substitute-for-condensed-cream-of-broccoli-soup/. I also used creamy natural PB cause that's all I had - worked well!

    ReplyDelete