Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Easy Fried Rice


I swear, these past few weeks have been so busy, I can't even keep up with my blog. I suppose it's because Jake and I's wedding is only a mere 9 weeks away, and the amount of things we have piling up is starting to get a little overwhelming. Oy, is it May yet?
One day last week, between trips to the gym and addressing wedding invitations, I threw this meal together. Super easy, super fast, super delicious. Like most of my meals, chances are you already have all these ingredients in your pantry and fridge. So, you should be able to whip this up in no time.

Ingredients:

  • 3 Tbs sesame oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup frozen vegetables, thawed*
  • 2 slightly beaten eggs
  • 3 cups cooked rice**
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
How to:
  • Warm oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
  • Add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
  • Add in frozen (thawed) veggies and egg, stirring until egg is cooked through.
  • Add in rice and soy sauce, mixing thoroughly, until veggies are cooked through and dish is heated throughout.
*You can really use any type of frozen veggies you want. I used a mix of peas, carrots, and corn, but anything will work.
**Day-old leftover rice works best. I also found that cooking the rice with 1/4 cup water less than what is recommended gives the rice a good texture as well.

This is one of those meals that you can pretty much add anything to, and it'll still taste good. If you have leftover chicken or beef, I say toss it in. As you can see in the picture, I've also diced up some raw chicken and cooked it in the sesame oil before adding in the onion & garlic. It turned out pretty good!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment