Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Two Sauce Lasagna


Happy 2013! Can you believe it's 2013? Crazy. If your resolution for this year is to eat healthy, this recipe probably isn't the best - you might want to try my lighter 'lasagna' recipes for Lasagna Cupcakes or Spinach Lasagna Rolls. If you're looking for some serious comfort food, however, then this is the perfect recipe. Also, it just occurred to me that I have 3 different recipes that are lasagna-related. Each of them offer something a little different, so pick your poison!
Jake and I had his family over for the Ravens playoff game on Sunday, and I decided I should make this Two Sauce Lasagna. The things I love about lasagna are that it's delicious and there are always plenty of leftovers. It's a win-win. This recipe is a little different (read: delicious), in that it uses both white and red sauce.

Ingredients:
  • 1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1 package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and well drained)
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese (divided)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 lb sweet Italian-style bulk sausage
  • 1 jar (24 oz) of your favorite red pasta sauce (plus some extra for serving)
  • 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
  • 1 jar (15 oz) of your favorite Alfredo sauce
How to:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, mozzarella, 2 Tbs Parmesan cheese, and eggs. Set aside.
  • In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage until cooked through, stirring until small crumbles form - about 4-6 minutes. Drain fat if needed.
  • Spread ~1 cup of the red sauce evenly in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  • Layer 4 noodles over the sauce, followed by half of the ricotta mixture, then 1 cup of red sauce, and half of the cooked sausage.
  • Repeat layers, and top with the remaining 4 lasagna noodles.
  • Spread the Alfredo sauce over the noodles and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs of Parmesan cheese.
  • Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  • Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
  • Allow lasagna to rest for 5-10 minutes.
I'm a huge fan of Classico pasta sauces, so that's what I used to make this lasagna. In fact, this dish is actually a Classico recipe that came from one of the jars of pasta sauce I had purchased a while back. I love Alfredo sauce, but rarely eat it because of how fattening it is. It's a perfect complement to the red sauce in this recipe. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. you should try my alfredo sauce recipe with greek yogurt - i mean its barely even a sauce by tastes pretty yum when you have the craving - its on my pinterest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestion, Jessica, for making a lighter version of Alfredo sauce. I'll have to look into that!

      Delete