Welcome!

Hello readers! I'm Leighanne - a twenty-something scientist (and newlywed!) searching for a way to express my creative side. Welcome to my blog, Potions & Poppy Seeds! Here, you'll find everything from new recipes, to DIYs for the home, to my experiences in wedding planning, and my never-ending attempts at creating fabulous things. Enjoy!

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Cake Batter Truffles


Merry (early) Christmas! Jake and I are heading to a Christmas party tonight, and I figured I should bring a dessert of some sort. I found this recipe for easy cake batter truffles, and I thought it would festive of me to add red and green sprinkles to the batter. These are super easy to make, and don't involve turning on the oven at all. Win. 
Not to worry, even though these TASTE like cake batter, there are no raw eggs involved here, so these are perfectly safe to eat. And believe me, you'll be eating plenty.

Ingredients:

Truffle:
  • 1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup yellow cake mix
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3-4 Tbs milk
  • 2 Tbs sprinkles or nonpareils
Truffle Coating:
  • 16 oz. almond bark
  • 4 Tbs yellow cake mix
  • more sprinkles
How to:
  • To prepare 'dough', cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Add in cake mix, flour, vanilla, and salt and mix thoroughly. 
  • Add in 3 Tbs of milk to create dough. If necessary, add in another Tbs (4 Tbs worked perfectly for me).
  • Mix in sprinkles by hand.
  • Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with Parchment paper. Chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
  • While dough balls are chilling, prepare truffle coating by melting almond bark in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Stir between intervals to make smooth.
  • Once melted, quickly stir in yellow cake mix until completely incorporated.
  • Using a fork, dip truffles into melted almond bark and shake off excess bark by tapping fork on side of bowl.
  • Place coated truffle back on Parchment lined cookie sheet and top with sprinkles. 
  • Refrigerate to set chocolate. Keep cool until ready to serve.
These were so easy to prepare! To keep the coating from smudging and looking messy, I found it helpful to actually 'scoop' the balls out of the almond bark with two forks, tap the forks against the bowl to get rid of the excess bark, and then transfer them to the parchment-lined cookie sheet. 

The original recipe can be found here

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment